Sunday 20 October 2013

Pressing the 2013 cider

I will try to update this blog more often in the future, although my main activity relating to the orchard will continue to be YouTube.

Yesterday, 19th October, I pressed 13 gallons of juice for a friend who usually has some, although I couldn't supply any last year due to the appalling harvest and my leg injury. Thankfully I am pretty nearly fully recovered from that.

Everyone keeps saying 'Its a bumper year for apples'. I'm not so sure, but it is certainly much better than last year, which I refer to as 'The long winter of 2011-2013'. The cider I made last year was disappointing but I had some yesterday and it seems to have matured to something quite nice in the 1 litre glass bottles with half a teaspoon of white sugar added to give some secondary fermentation. A bit of fizz definitely helps with dull cider. Last year's fruit just did not receive enough sunshine to achieve really good flavours or sugar levels.

This year I have been expecting some real vintage cider due to the summer sun. I pressed 25 gallons 2 weeks ago, adding just under 1 Campden tablet per gallon and some wine yeast. I know this is not completely authentic but I have lost more than one batch of cider to spoilage organisms before now and I don't want that to ever happen again. It was a mix of about 40% cider apples, largely Tremlett's Bitter, and apples like Sunset and Lord Lambourne which had gone very slightly soft. More on my bugbear issue of 'crunchy' apples later. A gravity of about 1059 was achieved and fermentation is ongoing.

Yesterday after pressing the client's order I pressed a box each of Kingston Black (about 16 kg, the whole crop from 15 trees. KB is a great fruit but a pathetic cropper) and Yarlington Mill. My friend Mike Gurman (check out his Atomic Shrimp videos) helped me and noticed how hard it was to mill these apples as they make such a stiff paste. The Kidd's Orange Reds we pressed earlier went through about 4 times as fast. The 4 gallons of juice came in at 1072, a very high gravity indeed.

I added some fizzing cider from the earlier batch but no sulphite as hoping for a very quick fermentation. The sulphite kills bacteria that can spoil the cider, very necessary if you are using fruit that has been lying on the orchard floor for a week or so but all the fruit we pressed was hand picked. Clean fruit and a rapid start to fermentation should obviate the need for sulphite.

Our next Farmer's Market is next Sunday at Winchester. We will have Orleans Reinette, Spartan, red Pippin, Egremont Russet, Suntan and maybe one or 2 odds and ends. We used to take unpasteurised apple juice to these markets but someone complained they had a loose bowel action 'gave me the shits' as she delicately put it) after drinking our juice. Also a Food Hygiene Police busybody presented us with a huge wad of requirements so we stopped it. Too bad for the many people who liked our '100% flavour in' fresh pressed raw juice, but there you go. I can't spend £10,000 complying with food hygiene regulations to sell £300 or £400 worth of fresh juice per annum.

Hill Farm Orchards make a perfectly acceptable range of pasteurised bottled apple juice which I recommend. I have pasteurised apple juice before now, I may do again this autumn and it can be a good product, but to me always tastes of stewed apple rather than fresh pressed juice.

Enjoy the autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the Fruitwise Heritage Apples blog. Feel free to leave a comment, I will try to respond where appropriate but FAQs may have been already addressed in my YouTube videos or the http://www.fruitwise.net site. Remember, I am not a professional fruit grower, only an enthusiastic experienced amateur. Any and all advice is offered freely and with sincere good faith, but remember I might be mistaken, and my preferences,
soil and climate may be different from yours which would diminish the relevance of my advice, so check other sources before acting. In any event, I am not responsible for any outcomes!

Kind regards to all.